Our Adoption Journey

Our journey to start a family through the miracle of adoption.

Thursday 3 October 2013

On turning 35..

Just after 7:00 this morning I turned 35 years old.

34 are never to be seen again. Sad much? No, not really. A little sad that yet another year has passed and that time seems to be flying faster as I get older. But now, being here on the tipping point between the 30's and 40's I feel good.. balanced.

During my childhood and teenage years I've grown from being a silent, shy child into a silent, moody teenager. My early twenties were all about fun and discovering the world, falling in love and trying on adulthood. Late twenties were mostly about survival. Learning how hard the world can be, but also turning into a stronger person because of it. During my early 30's my life took shape. I got married, got a job that I love, bought a house and started a family (as you know the family thing is not done yet, but it is indeed started). My outlook on life and about people changed. I grew into myself and am now comfortable with the person I am. I can keep up a good conversation, but I can also remain silent for days – the difference is that I do not make excuses for it any more. It is who I am and who I choose to be. I still have a lot of girl left in me – I prefer to walk barefoot in the summer and have my hair up in a ponytail – but I've also matured into a woman with my own opinions and preferences.


So here is to being 35! To living a year filled with love and loving. To make new friends and reconnect with old ones. To be mindful, happy and optimistic. To take care of myself and those I love. To reach out more and make small changes. To be still, free and peaceful.


2 comments:

  1. I love that you have stated that you have started a family. I have never thought of it that way - but it is true!

    That is one of the nice things about growing older - getting more comfortable and confident with who we are. Which in turn means we worry less about what others think of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely post Juanita - I hope 35 is a wonderful year for you!

    ReplyDelete